Configuration Problem

gammylynn

Configuration Problem

Post by gammylynn »

Whenever I go to the Configuration Menu F10, it opens ok but when I try to go to Control, Fonts or other menu options it seems to "hang". Why would it be so slow and not bring up the option I want?
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Re: Configuration Problem

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi,
this is an interesting bug no one has reported before. Usually clicking on pages in configuration should open it immediately, there is nothing loaded or done, it just changes the page of a tab control.
How long does it hang? Does it open the page at all or is it hanging forever?

Which Windows version do you use? Have you tried Notesbrowser 1.9 beta?

You can try this: Open skins or plugins page directly - from Notesbrowser's right click menu, clicking on the Notesbrowser window border, does it also hang or open at once?

Thanks for a feedback!
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser on Facebook
Image Notesbrowser.com
gammylynn

Post by gammylynn »

Hi Dirk,
I did right click on border, clicked on Skins, the config menu came right up and after approx 10 seconds or so I can't click on another option. I don't think it is hanging because I can close it. It sometimes will work but it takes about 3-4 minutes to go to say FONTS or CONTROL. I have Windows XP. No I have not tried the beta version 1.9.
I also had a big problem bringing in my back up files from the older NB version. I am pretty computer literate but no matter what I did I could not recover it. I'm sure it is on my PC somewhere and I did what forum members said but no go. I had lots of info in the older version since I have used it for many years.
I will tell you though I LOVE this software! I am an organizer and this has been perfect in so many ways.
Donna
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Donna,
about the bug, I don't know how this is happening. I can not reproduce it. Can you move the configs window around? Is everything blocked (buttons, checkboxes, labels) or only some of the elements? Is there maybe a window below the Configs window or even the Notesbrowser window?

If you have some time, please also try the beta version of Notesbrowser 1.9.

After you found the old database(your backup), I recommend to copy the files nb.exe and System\nb.dll from your Notesbrowser installation to the path where the backup is, start it (exit other Notesbrowser instances before) and have a look at the files. Be sure to create the "Systems" folder and put the nb.dll in it. It is an easy way to have a look at the backup without restoring it and overwriting your new data.

If you need any more help, please ask. Please be sure to write exactly where you are struck.

Thank you, Dirk
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser.com
gammylynn

Post by gammylynn »

Dirk,
Yes I can move the config windows around. Nothing is blocked the config window comes up right away when I click F10 and I can click on one of the buttons, CONTROL, LAYOUT, ETC but I can't go to another button. It will (another button) sometimes come up eventually but when I click a check mark to make a change, say the LAYOUT it doesn't do anything. I will usually click to close if it doesn't respond within maybe a minute or so. It will close right away, no hesitation. I will try the beta and I will hopefully find my old backup. I did use that tool, DB finder and did find 4or5 but I think because I did a few installations and then tried to save DB in another directory, I made a mess of things.
I thank you so much for your help, I will try that DB tool again and if you have any other thoughts about my config problem, I will welcome it.
Thanks, Donna
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Donna,
regarding the configuration problem, there is nothing I can think of. Please try the 1.9 - it may fix it. If not, please report me.

About the databases, there is another trick to have a quick view on the data: Just download Notesbrowser Lite Beta:
http://www.notesbrowser.com/en/download ... -lite.html

Unzip it, then drop the single file nblite.exe in a database folder that the DB Finder found, and you will see the first 20 columns.

If the database is not what you are looking for, delete it and check the next one.
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser.com