Backup

If you think you have found an error, please report it here
LadyRynn

Backup

Post by LadyRynn »

Hi

Having checked my backup folder recently, I've noticed that when using either the top right click menu backup or the F9 backup method, it does not always happen even though the Backup panel does appear and functions. I have now got into the habit of doing it twice by using whatever method is alternative to the first backup.

As I'm aware of it it's not a big problem but I thought you might wish to know.

Barbara
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Re: Backup

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Barbara,
thank you for the bug report!
I have tried to find out what could be the problem, but at my PC everything works fine with the backup.
First, I have checked the code and there is no difference between the two different backup methods, the same code is used.

So to find out what's wrong, I have some questions:

1) With the "top right click menu" do you mean the icon in the title bar?

2) How do you check that the backup did not work?
How I do it: I have checked the first category file (01-01-Category.nbw) after a edit in that category both in the Notesbrowser folder and in the backup folder. I do the check with a file compare tool which I can recommend, WinMerge.

3) Which operating system do you have?

4) Is the problem reproducible?

Thank you!
Dirk
LadyRynn

Post by LadyRynn »

Hi Dirk

I apologise for reporting the Backup as a bug as I have doubled checked it again today and it now seems fine.

I suspect that the Backup file may not always show as being immediately updated due to such things as programme focus etc. Apart from a few things, generaly I don't use Windows Explorer, I use 'xplorer2' full version set in double pane mode - panes set for detailed view (Brilliant programme - leaves Windows Explorer in the dust). What I feel happens ocassionaly is that maybe due to other things going on and as I said programme focus, updated files may not always show as such immediately. Today I highlighted (Selected) the Backup file and then did backups using both the Right Click menu on the Top Left Minimize Button and also the F9 method and the Backup time and date changed immediately no problem.

Once again I apolgise for any inconvenience.

Barbara
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Barbara,
absolutely no problem! We encourage every bug report - and if it's not really a bug, even better.

I never used xplorer2, I used Total Commander some years ago, which looks alot like xplorer2.

So the backup problem probably is an update problem in xplorer2. If this happens again,
be sure to cross check with Windows Explorer to see if the file has been updated.

Have a good time,
Dirk