I am a Notesbrowser Pro user for several years

Please ask all kinds of questions about Notesbrowser
skywarnjasco

I am a Notesbrowser Pro user for several years

Post by skywarnjasco »

I just got an email in reference to the new version 1.8, and I am having the hardist time installing the new version
over the old version, with out losing all the info I have in the old version.

Most softwares that had new versions installed over the old without losing anythning.

I have used the old version for several years and have been extrenely happy with it.

I do skywarn tornado spotting for my area in southwest Missouri and don't want to lose alot of
the impotant info I have in there.

I did what I thought it said to do and I still see the 1.7 version, then when I tried to install 1.8
it came up with the 60 day trial thing, but still haven't seen any change.

Now I am afraid since it went to the trial part of notebrowser I may lose the registered 1.7 version
w/ all the info in it
skywarnjasco

Re: I am a Notesbrowser Pro user for several years

Post by skywarnjasco »

It is me again, wasn't finished with my post, but I need support real bad before I really bugger thins up good
and ruin what I have.

As I said before I have been extremelly happy with Notes browser and have told many about it
SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME

tHANKS IN ADVANCE skywarnjasco :( :(

Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Skywarnjasco,
I am here to help you!

First of all, don't worry! Notesbrowser does not delete any data of yours, unless you explicitly want Notesbrowser to do so. If you don't use the "Delete Category" or the "Recover" feature, your database is still there and cannot be harmed.

Second, you can always access your data, even after the 60 days trial is up. Notesbrowser will complain about the 60 days ran up, but will let you access your data and of course will never delete a bit. We wouldn't dare!

Then you state that you have installed Notesbrowser 1.8 in the same folder as Notesbrowser 1.7. I think you made a mistake with the path here, and you have not installed Notesbrowser in the same path. If you do install it in the same path, the import will always(!) be automatic.

You wrote that you can still open both Notesbrowser 1.7 and also the new Notesbrowser 1.8 which assures me that you have installed them parallel in different folders. This is no trouble and both versions can be installed parallel and run without bothering each other. But of course you want your database in the new Notesbrowser 1.8 which is easy to achieve:
1) Just make a "backup" with Notesbrowser 1.7 (your valid database)
2) and import this backup with the "recover" feature in Notesbrowser 1.8 (that one with the empty database)

! Be sure you do this the right way around or you will overwrite your database !

3) get rid of Notesbrowser 1.7 -> I wouldn't uninstall it, just move the folder with Notesbrowser 1.7 to a backup location

You can read more about the Notesbrowser database and all related problems here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172

To find out where exactly you have your two(!) installations you can use a simple small tool we have written:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=178

I hope I could help you!
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser on Facebook
Image Notesbrowser.com
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

The user reported to us by mail that everything worked for him.
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser on Facebook
Image Notesbrowser.com