Disk Catalog

bigbeardale

Disk Catalog

Post by bigbeardale »

Hi... Is there any way to have notesbrowser catalog your floppy disks and cd disks to a tab in Notesbrowser? It would be nice if you could make a tab for each disk, then do a search for any files you might want to look up, and it would take you to the tab containing the filename, and the tab could be named the number of the disk so that you could find it. Maybe add Catalog Drive, ( and you choose the drive letter, ) to the menu, and it would copy all of the file names from the disk or cd to the page that you are looking at in a tab. Then you could name tabs something like f0001 for floppys, c0001 for cds, and d0001 for dvd's if you want to do them too.

Thanks,
Dale aka bigbeardale
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

This is not possible in Notesbrowser.

But you can add all filenames to a textfield, here is how it works:

1) Open the "Windows File Explorer"
2) Click on a drive, for example C:\
3) Start a search for just this drive (for example click on "search" in the Explorer menu bar)
4) Search for all files, this can be done by leaving the search file field empty or use "*.*" in it
5) Open a Notesbrowser Tab with a big text field, maybe better turn word wrap off
6) Select all files in the search window
7) Drag & Drop the files in Notesbrowser:
Attention, drag them not in the field directly, but on the border(!) of Notesbrowser, beneath the field
8) a big list of files wil be added to the text field, all with full path

The problem I see here is that it will help you only for a moment. This list of files is not actualized for example if you delete, add or rename files. Notesbrowser is not a file indexer, for this it would ned to watch the file system changes, and that is not what it is intended for...
bigbeardale

Post by bigbeardale »

Ok, Thanks... Notesbrowser has a great find feature, very fast, so that is why I would like to have a inventory of file names in it. Will the next version have more tabs available? I like your program very much, and keep up the good work...

Dale
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Thank you. We are deciding about more tabs/pages in the next version, but now we plan with six for Notesbrowser 1.7. One reason is that more Tabs mean more memory consumption and longer startup time. The other is that we have changed very much in the new NB and don't want to change more since this would require more testing and postpone the release more. But we are thinking about it, I also want more tabs :-)