Moving to ANOTHER PC

Please ask all kinds of questions about Notesbrowser
Tursiops

Moving to ANOTHER PC

Post by Tursiops »

I have Notesbrowser and data on my OLD pc in C:\Program Files\IC3\.
I am going to install a new version on my NEW pc in C:\Program Files (x86)\Notesbrowser\
I want the new install to point to and use the data from my old install. But of course I can't point to the same drive letter on the OLD pc. So I want to move the data to F:\NotesbrowserData\ on the OLD pc and point to it from the new install on the NEW pc.
Which folders and files are actually data? e.g. 01-01-Category.nbw ... Backup60 Site.IC3 ?
Tursiops

Re: Moving to ANOTHER PC

Post by Tursiops »

I managed to install a new Notesbrowser on my NEW pc after making a backup on my OLD pc at G:\backup.
Then, after installing NB 1.8.6. and entering my registration, I did a Restore (actually labeled "recover") and got all my old data back.
However, I want all data saved to G:\. Yet, on the [F10] configuration screen it says: Database directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Notesbrowser.
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Re: Moving to ANOTHER PC

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Tursips,
so you managed to move your data to the new PC? BTW, you did it right, using first the backup and then the recover, as written here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22

To answer your first question: the data (categories) are stored in the files *.nbw and the configuration and dates from the reminder are stored in the *.xml files.

Files like "Backup60Site.ic3" are very old data files that can be deleted.

To your second question: If you do a "Recover/Restore" of your database the files are copied(!) into the Notesbrowser installation path which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Notesbrowser\

At this time, there is no possibility to change this path. Your database will always be located in the installation path. We know of the disadvantages, but there are also advantages if you use Notesbrowser on a USB stick for example. We have it on our todo list to make a change of the data path possible in a future version of Notesbrowser.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask : )
Dirk Schwenke,
Notesbrowser Team

Image Notesbrowser on Facebook
Image Notesbrowser.com