backup NOT created?(!)

Please ask all kinds of questions about Notesbrowser
amo

backup NOT created?(!)

Post by amo »

I moved my old NB database from a dying computer to a new computer, which also required an upgrade to NB1.8. Everything seemed to go fine, including the first few backups, as far as I can recall. Now, however, when I try to back up my NB database, I get the message:
Backup was NOT created! Perhaps the target directory is not existing or full! (test=02-02-Category.nbw -1- )
I have verified that the target directory exists and that there is plenty of room on the drive I'm trying to back up to. It appears that my database might be corrupted somehow, as it starts the process and then stops, and when I look in the target directory, the only files that haven't been updated are Column2.xml, Column3.xml, Plugins.xml, and 02-01-Category.nbw (does that even belong there? I use the free version of NB1.8).

Any help/advice appreciated! TYIA.

-a
Dirk Schwenke
NB-Team

Re: backup NOT created?(!)

Post by Dirk Schwenke »

Hi Amo,
first of all, do a full copy of your Notesbrowser folder by hand with the Windows Explorer. So you will be sure to have a backup.

Then by the error message I can see that Notesbrowser tries to copy the files of the second column, which are the files 02-01-Category.nbw to 02-20-Category.nbw

This can only happen if the file 02-01-Category.nbw exists.

So the situation is, you have all files from the freeware version (01-01-Category.nbw to 01-20-Category.nbw) and also the first category (and only the first) of the Pro version.

This is a bit very weird. Can you remember, did you have installed the Shareware version (the 60 day trial) some time ago, and then switched to the Freeware later? Maybe in an much older version than 1.8? This maybe would explain it to me, because in the 1.8 it is not possible to create only the first category of the Pro edition.

However, solution is you delete or rename the file 02-01-Category.nbw and everything should work fine.

Please test it and give me feedback!

Dirk
amo

Re: backup NOT created?(!)

Post by amo »

Dirk,

Thank you so much for your help. Frankly, I have no idea how I created the problem, as I have used different versions of Notesbrowser on different computers at different times and have no idea what version I was using before my most recent changes.

However, deleting the file did indeed fix the problem.

Thanks again! I am quite fond of this program and am now also impressed with the support!

-a